Thursday, January 15, 2015

Practice Blog Post

I. Who am I?
A. Where I have lived
B. Major interests
1. Phi Mu
2. Family
C.How I happen to attend USA
1. Close to home
2. Family lives here
D.Personal Information
E. Tell about family

II. Why do I want to be an educator?
A. Make a difference
B. Kid at heart

III. What does an educator do in their practice?
A. Helping children learn
B. Making lesson plans
C. Providing positive experiences
D. Teaching through electronics

IV. My passions
A. Photography
B. Helping others

V. Interesting/Important things


My name is Shelby Begley. I am 20 years old, and was born and raised in Mississippi. I am fortunate enough to say that I have always lived in the same city, and only lived in two houses. I love Long Beach, Mississippi, and plan to return there after I finish college. Joining my sorority, Phi Mu, was the best decision I could have made for my four years at South. The Phi Mu house is my home away from home while I am in school. It has helped me grow as a person in so many ways. While I am away at school, I miss my family SO much! My parents, sister, best friend (whom I consider my sister, also), and my godson are always at home waiting to welcome me back. I have one sister, who is four years older than me, that has helped me through everything. My best friend and her son (my godson), are my world. My godson, Michael, will be two years old in October. He is my best friend, too. We have a lot of great conversations about food, dogs, and the word "no".

Where I wanted to go to college was never a big debate. I always knew I wanted to go to the University of South Alabama. I love that South is only an hour away from Long Beach. I am able to have the "college experience" while being close enough to home that I can go back on the weekends, if I want. This is perfect for me because I love being at home. Another great thing about South, is that I have family that lives in Mobile. My grandparents, aunt, uncle, and cousins live 15 minutes away from campus. That is something I absolutely love, because I am so close to my family. My aunt that lives here also went to South. We are a lot alike, so when I was little I decided that I wanted to do what she did in college, so I did. I am an education major, and in Phi Mu just like she was.


I have always wanted to be a teacher because I am so passionate about helping others. That has always been something I strive to do. I so vividly remember my Kindergarten and 1st grade teacher, and the impact they made on my life. I want to be able to make that same impact on my future students. I am also such a kid at heart. There is no way I could be in a job where I am not around kids! I cannot wait to be a Kindergarten teacher and be able to impact their lives!

In the 21st century, teachers have such a wide range of things that are included in their job description. It is so much more than people, including myself, may think. The most important, and basic, thing that they do is help children learn. That is literally the number one thing that they have to do. Another thing they do is make lesson plans. Lesson plans are so important for the structure of the classroom. Technology has become a primary teaching tool in our schools today. Teachers have to learn to use that technology now as an essential tool to a child's learning experience. I believe that teaching is much more than the formal education. A positive experience is something that can truly impact a student's life. I have had teachers that have given me a positive experience, and I remember them much more than I remember the negative experiences.

My passion in life is photography. I love capturing the special moments in people's lives. Through photography, I can express my emotions while capturing theirs. Another passion I have is helping others, like I said earlier in this blog. Helping other people is such a satisfying feeling.


Source: Photo by Shelby Begley

I expressed my interests and important things in my life earlier in this blog. My family and friends are the most important, and interesting things in my life. I wouldn't be where I am today without them!

No comments:

Post a Comment