Sunday, March 15, 2015

Blog Post #8

Randy Pausch

Randy Pausch was an inspiration in his video, Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams. He has such a positive outlook on life! Mr. Pausch wanted educators to let their students act out situations and lessons in front of an audience. This brings a different perspective to students as they are learning a subject. I think it is absolutely incredible that one of his childhood dreams was to be an Imagineer for Disney. This was also one of my dreams I had whenever I was younger. Randy Pausch stressed that it is important to encourage students to have large dreams and aspirations. As with any large dream, there will be obstacles to overcome. But, as an educator, we must cheer them on and help them as they overcome whatever tries to get in the way of these aspirations! He talked about his football coach in the beginning of the video and that story set the tone for the video. His coach explained to him that if no one is getting on to you after you mess up, they have given up on you. I feel that this will be something that I will tell my students frequently. Whenever you are placed in a position of a leader/educator, there will be times that you will have to be honest with students. This honesty will guide them to success, even if they do not see this path at the time.

The main message I took from this video is to be your student's motivators. It is our job as educators to keep these students in the right direction. We have to make sure that we encourage them to knock down those brick walls until they achieve their goals!

4 comments:

  1. Such a great post. You did a great job highlighting the different perspectives that Randy had on education and the ways to educate students. I agree, it is our job to keep our students on the path to success and lead them in the right direction. His outlook on education is so encouraging and inspiring to me as a future teacher and I learned a lot from this post and the video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shelby! This was a really great post! I agree with all of the many points you made about Randy's video! He was an inspiring man and I can only hope that given the circumstances I could be as strong of a person as he was! It is important that we as educators teach our students to reach for goals and follow their dreams no matter how hard it will be! Randy makes many great points in his video and you did a great job pointing out the many different ones and expressing your thoughts on them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Shelby! I agree with a lot of points that you made. Randy Pausch seems like a great educator and person.

    ReplyDelete